Download CogTool and its User Guide
CogTool 1.2.2 Software (released 11 January 2013)
You are free to use this software for any purpose. However, it is provided as-is with no warranty -- use at your own risk.
Detailed information is provided in the CogTool User Guide (available below). We strongly recommend that you read this guide to get the most out of the CogTool system. Additional support materials, includng a step-by-step tutorial to walk through, are available on the Documentation and Other Support page.
Mac OS X Instructions
(10.5 or later, Intel Macs only)
- Download the CogTool .tgz file below.
- Install CogTool by expanding the .tgz file
If your browser does not automatically expand the .tgz file, double-click the file. The expanded CogTool application will appear in the same folder as the .tgz file. (You may delete the .tgz file after the CogTool application has been extracted.) You may place CogTool anywhere on your Mac.
- Double-click CogTool to begin.
As with any Mac application, you may place CogTool's icon in the Dock for more convenient access.
- On OS X 10.7 (Lion), OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later, you may be asked if you want to install a Java runtime; if so, answer yes.
- On OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later, depending upon your settings in the Security & Privacy Preference Pane, double clicking on CogTool may refuse to launch it, since it was not obtained through the App Store. Instead right click (or control click) on the application and select Open; you will be presented with a dialog asking you to confirm that you really do want to run CogTool. Note that you only have to do this once; after you have once said "yes, I want to run it" OS X should remember that choice and allow you run it in the future by simply double clicking on the application.
(Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 required)
- Download the CogTool .exe file below.
- Install CogTool by double-clicking the installer and following the instructions. Once it is finished, you may check the "Open CogTool" option to begin immediately, or
- Open CogTool from the Start Menu to begin, as you would any Windows application
(Note to users of earlier versions of CogTool: it is no longer necessary to download and install a Java Runtime Environment separately, and it is no longer necessary to take special steps to run CogTool on a 64-bit version of Windows.)
CogTool Source Code
CogTool is an open source project released under the LGPL.
The sources can be freely download by pointing a subversion client at http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/svn
The sources for the 1.2.2 release can be found at
Alternatively, the sources may be perused with a web browser, by pointing it at
|(previous version) CogToolMac-1_2_1.tgz||25.86 MB|
|(previous version) CogTool-1_2_1setup.exe||31.78 MB|